RSS Feed
Fingerprinting to be introduced for Chinese Visa applications in the UK
Posted by Dominic Quiney on 04 May 2018 03:17 PM

The Chinese Visa Application Centre has informed us that they will be gradually implementing fingerprinting for all Chinese visa applications made in the UK. Fingerprints will be taken at the Chinese visa processing centres in London, Manchester or Edinburgh.

While they have yet to confirm all the implementation dates, they will be introducing fingerprinting gradually throughout 2018 and early 2019. We will continue working with the Chinese Consulate to clarify the situation.

This is what is known so far.

Who does not need to give fingerprints yet?

If you are applying for a Tourist or Business visa of the following types, you do not yet need to give your fingerprints:

  • Single entry
  • Double entry
  • Multiple entry for visas up to two years

In addition, if you are a national of the USA, Canada, Israel, Argentina, or Brazil, you can additionally apply for the following, without the need to give fingerprints:

  • Multiple entry visa of between five and ten years

Over the next few months, fingerprinting requirements will be added to these visas. When this happens, we will update our advice to you.

If you are eligible for a two-year multiple entry visa, and are planning to travel within the next few months, we advise getting your visa as soon as possible, to avoid having to travel to a visa centre to give fingerprints.

Who will have to give fingerprints now?

From 8th May 2018, only applicants who fit the following criteria will have to go to the visa centre in person, and give their fingerprints when applying for their Chinese visa:

Applicants aged between 14 and 70 years, and applying for the following categories of visa:

  • Any type of Multiple entry visa which is valid for a period of between five and ten years
  • Permanent Residence visas - Category D
  • Journalist visas - Category J1 and J2
  • Family member of foreigners staying or living in China visas - Category S1 and S2
  • Family member or relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners resident in China visas - Category Q1 and Q2
  • Student visas - Category X1 and X2
  • Work visas - Category Z

What if I need to give my fingerprints?

If you need to give fingerprints, apply as usual through our website, and when we receive your application we will contact you to arrange a time and date for giving them; this will be similar to our current Russian visa application process.

On the day you arrive in London to give your fingerprints, our courier will meet you with your documents, and talk you through the fingerprinting process.

Our systems and website are being updated to match these process changes, ensuring we continue to offer a simple Chinese visa service which gives you peace of mind and comprehensive support. We will also keep you updated on this situation through our website’s service status page and via Facebook and Twitter.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our visa specialists via online chat, over the phone or by e-mail.

Comments (0)